Sunday, July 17, 2011

from rags to riches

I have been doing LOTS of sewing lately, so Friday I was in the mood to do something a little different. I went into my 'craft vault'-which is basically just a pile (organized pile of course!) of various patterns/ideas of things that I liked and want to make at some point! This pile keeps growing, so I figured I better start tackling some of them!

I found a pattern that my sister in law mailed me a few months ago. It's for a small basket and the pattern is from Mary Janes Farm, which is a resource/forum for woman. It was created by a woman who started off working as an organic farmer, but in the last ten years has also become an editor and author. She puts out a magazine monthly that has a whole bunch of ideas for simple, healthy, organic living. Also in every issue there are a bunch of craft ideas from sewing to knitting to painting to refurbishing. The style of the magazine is a bit 'country' for me, but every once in a while I come across a cute idea!

I chose this pattern because since I am fairly new to sewing I am still in the process of organizing my forever growing pile of materials. I am always on the lookout for unique baskets/containers!(I think my obsession with baskets/containers is also the Montessorian in me coming out!) The pattern was simple and only required 3 things- fabric, upholstery cord, and a large plastic needle. I made a quick run to JoAnn's and came home and went right to work. You can find the PDF pattern here.

You need about 20 strips of farbric, 1" by 36".



You then need to tightly wrap the upholstery cord with the strips and begin winding the cord into a coil. (making the bottom of the basket)



In order to help me keep the coils tight- I used a lot of pins! 



The basket came out smaller than I thought it would be, but then again the instructions did give me the dimensions- I just didnt' pay close enough attention to them! I originally wanted to use the basket to hold fabric scraps, but when I was finished it wasn't nearly big enough. However, the size is perfect for holding ribbon scraps, buttons, thread, pins, etc. 






I do love it! I'm sure I'll  be making more- perhaps with a bolder fabric choice and larger upholstery cord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment