Wednesday, August 10, 2011

once upon an apron


I'm so excited to finally share with you a project that has been ongoing this summer! Aprons, aprons, and more aprons!

This is the apron that started it all! My first sewing project with my first sewing machine and here I am 2 years later, making the same apron- x6.

During Montessori training we were expected to make a number of items- in part to give you a supply of materials for your classroom, but also so that you learn how to make quality materials- because as a Montessori Teacher, you are ALWAYS making something new! One of the items was a child's apron. Some people bought theirs (and this was allowed), but I thought "how fun would it be to make my own!?!"... so I went out, bought a sewing machine, fabric, and found an awesomely easy pattern at sew liberated. You can find it here. It's super simple and the outcome is super cute! Thanks Meg for creating and sharing!!

Anyways, after that one project- I fell in love with sewing! (although I do have a love/hate relationship with my sewing machine- partly because I am new to sewing- so I am learning through trial and error)

I knew that once I had my own room, it would be full of these adorable aprons. So that meant that this summer I needed to get busy sewing. I thought of all of the different activities that needed aprons and went to the fabric store!

I bought pattern fabric for the front and a corresponding solid for the lining, neck strap and waste strap. I even got creative for one and sewed on thick satin ribbon for the neck and waste straps (this one ties in the back). Most of them velcro (setting the child up for success and independence) but the one mentioned above ties, and then another snaps. Before I started sewing, I cut everything out! (that way whenever I had a free moment everything was ready to sew!)



Here is a breakdown of what each is used for in the classroom:


*apple print: apple cutting
*orange print: orange peeling/juicing
*banana print: banana cutting
*trucks/flower & apple/pink striped: painting/easel work
*van gogh flower print: floral arranging/plant watering






These ones for food prep are my fav! I'm not sure if it's because of their bright, vibrant colors or if it's because the fabric is so realistic looking! I knew when I saw these prints that I had to have them. You can be sure that there will be a lot of food prep going on my classroom this year!





No comments:

Post a Comment