Monday, September 3, 2012

gotta have a lil' Hope

 
Oh my is summer really over?! I feel like it just started. I did not get nearly HALF of the things done that I wanted to- which always makes you feel a bit disappointed... with the house and working part time I didn't have enough free time to focus on my hobbies like sewing/playing piano/crafting! All of my crafting/creative energy went into painting rooms and deciding where things should be placed/hung. It's fun- but I'd much rather be creating other things.

Another task that has been taking up some of my energy is fostering/volunteering. This takes an enormous amount of time and dedication- but the rewards are priceless :)

Meet Hope...she is a 1 year old female - thought to be some sort of terrier mix. She was a happy, go lucky gal who was a lil' shy- but willing to go out on a limb from time to time! She warmed up quickly- but was still a reserved lady.



She honestly did not possess one bad quality- well maybe her CRAZY hair!!! haha I brushed her and bathed her and it seemed that nothing would tame those unruly locks of hers!



She fit in perfectly with our little family. So much so...it was almost impossible to let her go!

 

The only reason I was able to give her up was because my best friends mom was adopting her. Which means I get to visit with her as often as needed :)



I'm so thankful Hope was apart of our lives! Even if it was only temporary.







2 comments:

  1. just stumbled onto your blog. We are fostering for the first time too. Annie is our first and she's been with us for almost 2 months, healing, learning how to enjoy life after her early years in a hoarding/breeding situation. This is the week we have to decide whether to keep her, or let her go. We had decided we were going to adopt, even scheduled her training classes. But my grandmother just had a friend ask if she was available and now I'm torn. I know we would have the space to rescue more if we didn't already have two, but it's so hard to say goodbye. And if I don't let her go, will the next be just as difficult to part with... or will regret saying goodbye to Annie? I never thought we would fall in love with the first one, I never thought this would be such a tough decision. just wanted to tell you thank you for choosing to foster : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather! I'm so happy to hear that you are fostering a pup in need. It's a VERY hard thing to do- stressful at times- but oh so rewarding! Totally 100% worth it! The first dog we had (Winston) we kept (but we were in the market for a 4 legged friend). The second foster (Hope) we also wanted to keep!! But... I knew if I kept Hope- I wouldn't be able to help any other pup in need and that was incentive enough for me to let Miss Hope go :-( It was extremely sad- I was depressed and cried a bit- but it was also bittersweet. I kept reminding myself that I didn't want to be greedy and that Hope was going to have a wonderful, loving, forever home. And that I would be able to help others get to their forever homes. Since Hope, I've had 3 other fosters- Sherry and Sheryl (sisters) and Patch- it gets easier to let them go- especially when they have such a wonderful family waiting for them. So... if keeping Annie keeps you from continuing to foster I would think really hard about it :-/ Here's a great quote I found on FB "When someone tells me they couldn't foster because it would be too hard to give an animal up, I often ask how they would feel if they knew that animal died because it didn't have a foster" Thank you for helping our furry friends! I wish there were more ppl like us <3

      Delete